Erik R. Connell
Areas of Focus
Erik’s practice includes all areas of civil defense litigation. He has conducted jury trials as lead counsel and numerous arbitrations, expert and lay witness depositions, and mediations. He has represented clients in car accident, employment law, insurance bad faith, class action, premises liability, products liability, animal attack, slip/trip and fall, construction defect, and labor law cases. He has experience representing corporate clients, insurance companies, labor unions, and individuals.
In law school, Erik was awarded the CALI award for academic achievement in advanced constitutional law. After graduation, Erik served in the Peace Corps in southern Africa.
Erik’s experience includes these notable cases:
- Dinh, et al. v. Ride the Ducks of Seattle, LLC, et al. – Nine-figure personal injury case with over 70 plaintiffs. Deposed both damages and liability expert witnesses, plaintiffs, and friends and family witnesses. Oversaw creation of pre-trial materials, including ER 904 submissions and objections, jury instructions, and motions in limine. Supervised large-scale discovery responses.
- Ames v. Cohen – Automobile accident trial with fault admitted. The plaintiff settled mid-trial for a fraction of the defendant’s offer of judgment after Mr. Connell successfully prevented the plaintiff from introducing any evidence of damages.
- Mezenge v. Montgomery – Automobile accident trial with fault admitted. The jury returned a verdict that was lower than the defendant’s last pre-trial offer to the plaintiff.
- Taylor v. Colyer – Automobile accident trial with disputed fault. The defense obtained judgment as a matter of law after the plaintiff rested her case, successfully arguing that the plaintiff had failed to adequately introduce evidence of damages that the jury could base an award on.
- Armstrong v. Bauman – Obtained summary judgment dismissal for the dog owner in a dog bite case. The plaintiff alleged theories of attractive nuisance, negligence, and Washington state’s dog bite liability statute.
Seattle University School of Law, J.D. cum laude 2013
University of Puget Sound, BA 2007
Washington State Bar
Washington State Bar Association
Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Association