Join our team
Lee Smart is seeking a highly motivated associate attorney, licensed in the State of Washington, who has 3-5 years of experience in general litigation.
The candidate must have a strong work ethic and excellent written and oral communication skills. This position requires a candidate that can work independently on many different types of cases, manage demands and changing priorities and comes with a significant opportunity for trial work. The candidate must have excellent organizational skills, superior attention to detail, and desire to work as part of a team.
Lee Smart is an experienced litigation firm looking for someone with energy, sound judgment, and experience in managing rapidly changing priorities and deadlines. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and a bonus program.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com
Lee Smart, a civil litigation firm, is proud of our 100-year history as trial lawyers.
We are rated “AV” by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating, and are looking for a quality associate to join our practice.
Lee Smart specializes in defending clients in a broad range of civil cases. This includes representing individuals and organizations against allegations involving premises liability, motor vehicle accidents, construction defects, product liability, business losses, and others. We also defend healthcare providers, attorneys, accountants, architects, and engineers.
The primary responsibility of the Legal Assistant is to enhance Attorney’s effectiveness by providing litigation and administrative support. To ensure the highest level of services are provided, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Assist Attorney’s by keeping case information organized, monitoring and updating calendars, inputting information into the appropriate databases and keeping the Attorney updated regarding progress and non-routine occurrences that may disrupt deadlines.
- Draft, prepare and update legal documents under attorney supervision, including transcription.
- Transmit legal correspondence to clients, witnesses and court officials via electronic filing, mail, fax or messenger.
- Communicate consistently with Attorneys, Clients, Court Officials, witnesses and other Firm employees in a confident, professional manner to ensure an efficient process.
- Understand court rules and procedures for service and filing of legal documents.
- Docket for and maintain multiple case calendars for Attorneys and Paralegals.
- Coordinate scheduling for multiple parties, including arranging for expert
- Timely organize and index legal documents.
- Handle incoming mail, faxes, deliveries and telephone calls for attorneys, and in turn, handle action items appropriately.
- Coordinate travel arrangements.
- Assist attorneys with the preparation of marketing and CLE materials.
- Support case preparation by preparing case summaries and materials for
mediation conferences; preparing pleadings; monitoring and obtaining discovery
responses; organizing materials for team case review.
- Enhances trial proceedings by organizing evidence; preparing exhibits; scheduling witnesses; ensuring that witnesses are ready when needed; taking courtroom notes.
- Calculate pretrial report due date based on carrier’s deadlines and calendar for the case.
Set up documents in Prolaw for Attorneys, including letters, pleadings, etc.
- Open new files, including getting all the information possible from what has been provided by the claims representative. Draft Notice of Appearance and file/efile and serve; calendar the carrier’s case assignment deadlines; calendar case scheduling order if we have one; draft initial letter to the client.
- Set up forms for initial case evaluation/ Action Plan Report, updated case evaluation pretrial report, budget.
- Secure conference rooms for meetings with clients, dep prep, deposition, mediation and not calendar.
- Order court reporters for those depositions we are taking.
- Confirm all vendor invoices have been paid. Enter litigation budgets into Legal Exchange. Draft budgets for other cases as per firm processes.
- Minimum of three (3) years of full proficiency experience as a Legal Assistant, Legal Secretary supporting litigation practice groups.
- Excellent grammar, spelling and proofreading skills.
- Advanced knowledge of legal procedures and court rules.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs required (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), and ProLaw. Able to effectively maintain written and computer records in accordance with regulatory agencies.
**A combination of education, training, and experience which has provided theoretical and practical knowledge will be evaluated for equivalency
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess distance, color and depth; required to regularly communicate with others and exchange accurate information.
- Able to operate a computer and other office productivity equipment; able to remain stationary at a computer for extended periods of time and move around his/her assigned work space.
- Frequently move up to 25 pounds and occasionally move up to 50 pounds. He/she/they must be able to occasionally ascend/descend stairs as required.